GNU Guix Days FOSDEM 2020
This page was for tracking anything related with the 2020 GNU Guix/Guile conference and hackathon on Jan. 30th and 31st — right before FOSDEM2020 and the Minimalistic, Experimental and Emerging Languages devroom and the original application minimalistic language devroom.
Annual GNU Guix (un)conference. This event was a FOSDEM 2020 fringe event.
GNU Guix is growing rapidly and has gone from a software packaging system to a full tool stack aimed at reproducible software deployment and development. GNU Guix is a toolkit that allows developers to integrate reproducible software deployment into their applications — as opposed to leaving it up to the user. GNU Guix is based on the GNU Guile programming language which makes it a very versatile and hackable (in the good sense) environment.
Thursday 30th and Friday 31st of January, 2020, the two days before FOSDEM.
Starting at 9:30AM.
We had some talks in the morning and hacking and discussions the rest of the day. Two days of GNU Guix bliss.
The event targeted an audience of Guix developers and users.
In the morning the following presentations were planned:
- Guix State of the Union by Ludovic Courtès + Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
- Guix Data Service by Christopher Baines
- Bootstrapping Intro by Jan Nieuwenhuizen
In pure "unconference" style, the rest of the program was made by participants as we went, with hands-on sessions organised in subgroups. The following session topics were proposed:
- GNU Guix road map
- GNU Guix online documentation
- Mes and bootstrapping
- Reproducibility project
- Alternative target architectures (ARM, POWER etc.)
- Developing workflows (GNU Guix and GNU Workflow Language)
- Support for D in GNU Guix
- Demonstration and explanation of The Perfect Setup (Emacs, Geiser, Magit)
- Demonstration and live-hacking of Next browser + introduction to the code base
- Better build systems for JVM languages in GNU Guix (support Maven, sbt, Gradle, ...)
- Reproducible JDK
- The Guix System installer
- Improve PHP
- your topic?
Code of conduct
Attendees implicitly abode by the code of conduct as stated by FOSDEM.
- Ludovic Courtès
- Pjotr Prins
- Manolis Ragkousis
- Efraim Flashner
- Tobias Geerinckx-Rice (9 to 5, ish)
- Christopher Baines
- Gábor Boskovits
- Andreas Enge
- Simon Tournier
- Nicolò Balzarotti
- Chris Marusich
- Jonathan Brielmaier
- Danny Milosavljevic
- Carl Dong
- Pierre Neidhardt
- janneke (Jan) Nieuwenhuizen
- Martin Becze
- Mark Wielaard (Thursday afternoon and Friday)
- Tom Tromey
- Bengt Richter
- Ioanna Dimitriou
- Joshua Wirtz
- Jelle Licht
- Mathieu Othacehe (only Friday)
- Jonathan Frederickson
- Lex Withofs
- Laura Lazzati
- Paul Garlick (Friday)
- Jonathan McHugh
- Lars-Dominik Braun
- Pablo Greco (only Thursday)
- Robert Smith
- Jérémy Korwin (only Friday)
- Mayeul de Bellabre
- Ivan Vilata i Balaguer (only Friday)
- Tobias Platen (only Friday)
Attendance was free. We asked a voluntary contribution for consumptions.
Foundation of Guix Europe